Monhegan is an hour plus boat ride so you’ll likely not be making many trips back and forth. Plan accordingly with art supplies and to some extent with food. There is a small art supply store, but you shouldn’t count on that. There is fresh food available on the island, but if you have specific dietary needs some research would be helpful.
You’ll find a flashlight essential, it can get pretty dark walking late! A sweater or pile jacket is also a must as it can get pretty chilly when the fog rolls in. Raingear should be considered as well.
Someone from the MARC board will meet you at the ferry to help you settle in. Be sure to let us know your arrival time and date.
Most of the housing on the island is on the landward side and only takes up about a third of the island, making for a wonderful network of wooded trails to and around the dramatic cliffs of the back shore. The trails are rough in places and you should bring a good pair of walking shoes or boots.
Overnight visitors are strongly discouraged in honor of our agreement with the landlords and we request that visitors to the studio be kept to a minimum. The Monhegan Artists’ Residency is intended to be a retreat; a fellowship rewarding the merit of your work. You are not required to produce a body of work. That said you should be mindful that there has been a tradition begun by the residents to share with the islanders and visitors by having a one-day open studio toward the end of their stay at the Residency. In keeping with the non-commercial nature of the Monhegan Artists’ Residency, advertisement of your presence should be kept to an announcement of your open studio, should you decide to hold one. Sale of artwork out of the Monhegan Artists’ Residency is prohibited.
These websites provide a wealth of information about basic Island info, like boats, lodging, maps and some cultural:
Some more Island details:
- Suitcases & boxes can be trucked to the studio by Monhegan Trucking at about $2.00 per item. The truck waits on the pier at every arriving boat.
- There are three different boat companies that make daily trips to the island. Securing a reservation is usually recommended (see above websites.)
- A copy of the trash procedures will be included in the orientation packet.
- Mail is held at the Post Office and not delivered to your door. Your Address is: your name, Monhegan Artists’ Residency, Monhegan Island , ME 04852 .
- If you have cell phone service you should use this as your primary means of contact. There are a number of different public phones on the island but they are very expensive to use.